Aiming to provide accessible and fully-supported temporary loans from the Horniman collections to other institutions
This project offers museum objects on temporary loan to other institutions. The objects chosen for the project have either been in storage for a number of years or on display but with limited information.
We will support your organisation throughout the loan to make the process accessible, open and manageable.
We deliver the loan object along with a showcase, lighting, transport, interpretation, and the option of an expert talk or event and publicity for the loan.
Current and upcoming displays
- Romanian Eggs on display at Hall Place & Gardens from 29 March to 12 June 2014
- Romanian Eggs on display at Whitstable Museum and Gallery from 3 April to 8 June 2014.
- Chimpanzee skeleton on display at Islington Museum from 20 June to 30 September 2014 to coincide with 'Beastly Islington' exhibition.
- Horse’s skull on display at Bromley Museum in the What Did You Do During The Great War, Bromley? exhibition from 17 June to 5 October 2014.
Objects in the project
- Japanese shōgi set
- Traditional Romanian hand decorated eggs
- Horse's skull
- Taxidermy Kakapo
- Taxidermy Pine Marten
- Military bugles
- Three Oceanic pots
- Pacific chiefly ornaments
- Haida model totem pole and pipe
Follow our progress
You can see the locations of some of our current and past Object in Focus Loans on our Loans Map.
For more information on our Object in Focus project and the objects available for loan, please email Sarah Mahood.