To find information about our world-class collections and objects, you can search and browse our website.
There are approximately 350,000 objects in our collections. The majority of the objects we have chosen to display online come from the following groups:
- 100 highlights from the Horniman Museum and Gardens collections in Anthropology, Musical Instruments, Natural History as well as highlights from our Aquarium species and Gardens.
- Objects which form part of the Horniman Museum and Gardens' Handling Collection
- Anthropology objects being reviewed as part of the Collections People Stories project
- Highlight objects from an Oceania collections review project
- Oil paintings in our collection, featured in the Public Catalogue Foundation Your Paintings project
- Chinese textiles
- Objects featured in our Amazon to Caribbean exhibition, held in 2006-2007
- Objects featured in our exhibition Tuareg: People of the Veil, held in 2010-2011.
- Archive material from the Horniman Museum and Gardens' institutional archive
- Musical instruments, including musical instruments featured in our Utsavam: Music from India exhibition, held in 2008
- Selected specimens which were reviewed during our Natural History Bioblitz project
- 19th and early 20th century taxidermy cases of British birds, collected in Christchurch, Hampshire, from the Edward Hart Collection
- Osteology specimens of British mammals from the John Cooper Osteology Collection
Our collections on other websites
Our collections have been featured on other websites, including:
- 151 objects, mainly from our musical instrument collection and institutional archive, are listed on Exploring 20th Century London
- Original factory records of production and sales of Wheatstone & Co. concertinas on www.horniman.info
- 201 oil paintings are featured on the BBC Your Paintings website.
- 3 musical instruments from our collection are featured in the Museum of London's mobile phone app Soundtrack to London
- 71 objects are listed in an online database Japanese Buddhist Objects in European Collections
- Art Fund list a number of objects which we acquired with their support