This month our programme of adults-only Lates returns with an event on Thursday 15 May to celebrate our Extremes exhibition.
Satirical artists Modern Toss will be here showcasing some of their best work and inviting you to join in, and even get a portrait of your own. Also expect hot music from Zimbabwe, stories by candlelight, surreal films from the deep and performance on a highwire.
It's also your chance to take a look at our Extremes exhibition with a more grown up crowd.
Behind the Scenes
Anthropologist, film-maker and activist Hugh Brody join us on Thursday 1 May to talk about his work with the San people of the Kalahari Desert using the Horniman’s wonderful collection of San objects. Hugh will preview some of his most recent filmmaking and let us in on his latest discoveries.
Learn Create Explore
Hear It Live!
Don't worry if you missed the first of our live performances in the Music Gallery: Hear It Live! returns on the last Tuesday of every month. On 27 May, Richard Ireland will play sections of music from the 17th century English virginalists JS Bach, Domenico Scarlatti and Haydn.
The Friends of the Horniman present their annual sale of flowers and herbs grown in the Horniman's nursery in Plant Sale Plus on Saturday 17 May.
Keep the whole family busy this half term:
- Discovery for All will open the Hands on Base on Monday, Tuesday and Friday of half term
- Get creative with Family Art Fun every weekday
- Explore the great outdoors with pond dipping and minibeast safaris, or go on a walk down the nature trail
- Join Miss Horniman for a story tour around the Gardens
- Discover the Horniman Farmers' Market, with fresh produce every Saturday 9am-1.30pm
- Walk with Lewisham Healthy Walks in the Gardens every Thursday, and come along on the 30 May for a special talk from our Head of Horticulture
- Join Busy Bees, our lively sessions for under-5s
- Let your crafty side out with Art Makers, making window decorations, garden bells and giant flower masks
- Get hands on with toys (also a BSL session), costume, puppets and extreme objects in our handling collection sessions
- Explore the Hands on Base every Sunday from 11.30am to 1pm with Discovery for All
- Let our storytellers whisk you away in A World of Stories
Both our major exhibitions continue throughout April.
Buy your tickets for Extremes in advance to beat the queues and get up close to some extreme animals and plants. This family-friendly exhibition offers budding explorers the chance to discover how they survive in some of the planet's harshest environments.
Whisper of the Stars is a free exhibition of stunning photographs portraying the traditional life of indigenous peoples across the remote Russian Arctic.