Volunteering is vital to the Horniman Museum and Gardens.
Along with a supportive, learning environment, we offer the chance to take part in important piece of work in the museum, while gaining and insight into the management of a large collection and busy public programme.
Due to high demand for volunteering we can only accept applications for roles listed on this page.
To apply for any roles listed (except the Saturday Gardening Group) please complete and return the application form below and return it to email@example.com.
Volunteer Application Form
Family Learning Volunteers
We are looking for volunteers to support our Family Learning Programme, including storytelling, arts and crafts, object handling and nature explorers activities. Family learning involves working with both adults and children so you need to be confident supporting adults and encouraging them to take an active part in activities with the children they look after. This role would particularly suit those who have, or would like to develop, an interest in working with families within a museum setting.
This is an ongoing role for which we are looking for volunteers able to offer 1-2 sessions per week.
- Support staff and freelance tutors in the delivery of the family programme
- Assist Learning Assistants to welcome parents/carers as they arrive and admit any latecomers to sessions
- Encourage and support parents/carers to participate in sessions by joining in with songs, rhymes and actions
- Assist with the reset of workshop space in between sessions, including preparing and tidying up materials
- Assist with evaluating sessions and events by encouraging and recording parents/carers comments and other feedback
Skills and experience:
- Experience of, or enthusiasm for, working with children (particularly under 5 age group)
- Enjoy helping others learn in an informal environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Friendly and welcoming to people of all ages
- Confidence and ability to approach and interact with a diverse range of people
- Good team working skills
- Willingness to attend safeguarding training
To apply for this role please complete and return the Volunteer Application Form above.
Saturday Gardening Group
Our Saturday Gardening group runs on the first Saturday of every month from 9.30am-12.30pm.
Anyone wishing to join in should meet the gardens team at the Bandstand at 9.30am, you don’t need to fill in any forms or sign up to anything in advance, as this is an informal group so you can just show up.
- This involves general gardening work as part of a team, supported and guided by a member of the gardens team so it’s a great chance to help us and learn new skills.
- Volunteers should wear comfortable clothes, closed in flat shoes and a waterproof coat if the weather is inclement.
- Any tools will be provided along with any protective equipment such as gloves.